top of page

A little about us...

Our connections:

Zion is a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (national body) and the Northwest Intermountain Synod (regional body).    Through congregations, synods and the churchwide organization we worship God and serve our neighbor locally, nationly and globally.  

ELCA logo with a colorful globe icon.
Northwest Intermountain Synod logo with purple cross and mountains on black background

Our beliefs:

Grace Alone, Faith Alone, Christ Alone

We believe that all people are imperfect and sinful. We are saved (made right with God) by God’s grace alone, through Christ — not by prayer, mindset, or good deeds. Through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, God became one of us and took on the world’s sin and suffering to show divine love. We receive the gift of grace by faith and know that we are forgiven even as we struggle with sin. We trust that through Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit, we are freed to live with gratitude and love.

Curiosity and Questions Welcome

All people seek meaning. This can come in the form of knowledge, relationships, spirituality or organized religion. The ELCA is part of the Christian church. We believe God’s grace and unfathomable love are available to all people as a gift through Jesus Christ. There is no one for whom Jesus Christ did not die. God’s welcome extends to all people, including those who come with questions or doubts.

Our actions:

Public Faith in Society

Lutherans live out their faith in the public sphere through justice, advocacy, inclusion and partnership, working toward peace, equity and dignity for all people.

Lutheran Alliance for Faith, Science and Technology logo
Lutheran Community Services Northwest logo
Lutheran World Relief logo with interlocking circles
Lutherans Restoring Creation logo with globe and cross

Office Staff

Smiling woman with short brown hair in a grey top

Pastor Arianna Arends

Pastor Arianna (air-EE-anna) has served congregations in  different states of different sizes before coming home to the Spokane area.  She feels blessed to be serving with Zion to create ways for people to live in honest community, to serve God, and love our neighbors as ourselves. 

Smiling woman with grey hair and glasses against a dark backdrop.

Debbie Spray

Office Administrator

A Deer Park native, Debbie coordinates calendars and volunteers, creates print worship materials, and knows more about Zion than almost any other! 

Over 100 years in the neighborhood

The first service of Trysil Lutheran Church (currently Zion Lutheran) was held on December 13, 1891, near Clayton, WA. The church was officially organized in the summer of 1892, and a log house was built around that time to hold services. Its official name was Trysil Norsk (Skandinaviske) Evangeliske Lutheriske Menighed. Worship and sermons were conducted in Norwegian until about 1920.

The Trysil Lutheran Church building was dedicated in 1901 and was located south of the corner of Spotted and Mason Roads. Zion Hill Cemetery (originally known as Trysil Cemetery) is located north and west of where the church once stood.

In October of 1948, the church basement was dug and concrete was poured at the new Deer Park location on Crawford Road. By December 9, 1948, the church was ready to be moved, but poor conditions—slippery roads, heavy snow, and mud—made it impossible. The building spent the winter on Montgomery Road and was finally moved into town by April 21, 1949.

After the move, the building was lengthened by 23 feet, received new siding and a new belfry, and a parsonage was built just east of the church. Services were held Sunday afternoons at the Methodist Church from December 1948 until May 8, 1949 during this transition. The first service was held in the newly moved church on Mother’s Day.

 

In the 1980s, a social hall was added. By that time, the parsonage was no longer used as a residence and instead became a meeting space. 

Trysil Lutheran Church in 1942 with people and car in black and white
Small historic wooden church with a tall steeple.

A large 28-inch bell, complete with an extra rope for tolling the clapper, was installed when the church was built in 1901. Two additional bells were added later after the church was moved to Deer Park. The 24-inch bell came from the Forreston School at the corner of Spotted and Bridges Roads, and the 26-inch bell came from Edgewood School, southwest of Deer Park near Spotted and Ridgeway Roads.

 

The altar painting and its elaborate frame were created in 1909 by Gustavus Eugene Burgh. The painting took him a full year to complete.

bottom of page